6 September 2018
References are often asked for in job applications and for employers to complete with regards to previous employees. ACAS has published guidance on this topic for employers which includes:
- What is an employment reference?
- Does an employment references have to be provided?
- What can an employment reference include?
- When are employment references required?
- Job offers and references
- Can an employer give a bad reference?
- Resolving problems with references.
As an employer there is no legal obligation to provide a reference but if you do it is imperative it is fair and accurate. We would advise that if you receive a reference request this is forwarded to your HR department to ensure an appropriate Corporate reference is provided in line with your organisational policy.
If you would like further information, please click here.