“TUPE” is shorthand for the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006. The TUPE Regulations protect employees where their employer is taken over or becomes part of another organisation.
- This protection applies if operations are outsourced or managed in house.
- For example, corporate services such as finance, human resources and ICT and business support services such as cleaning, maintenance, catering, etc.
The TUPE Regulations determine what situations are covered and the employers’ obligations towards its staff. This includes defining:
- What employment rights are protected
- Obligations of the transferring and receiving employer
- Consultation requirements for consultation
- Transfers of information
For more details, see our Information Note on TUPE. We can also offer more detailed assistance, since individual cases affected by TUPE can be complex depending on the circumstances involved.